Support is the best thing one person can do for another. Supporting a cause that has a personal effect on so many people everyday... what more could anyone ask for?! There are many different organizations that fund and support research for cures of all types of cancers. Pick one, or pick them all, just be supportive. Most organizations have several huge fundraising events that are fun and rewarding to get involved in. The one nearest and dearest to my heart is St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. Here are just a few "did you know?" facts about St. Jude's from their website:
- Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing and food – because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.
- Treatments invented at St. Jude have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20 percent to more than 80 percent since it opened in 1962.
- St. Jude is working to drive the overall survival rate for childhood cancer to 90 percent in the next decade. We won’t stop until no child dies from cancer.
- St. Jude freely shares the breakthroughs we make, and every child saved at St. Jude means doctors and scientists worldwide can use that knowledge to save thousands more children.
- Because the majority of St. Jude funding comes from individual contributors, St. Jude has the freedom to focus on what matters most – saving kids regardless of their financial situation.
- St. Jude was founded by the late entertainer Danny Thomas, who believed that “No child should die in the dawn of life.”
St. Jude's was there for my family, and continues to help many others while always maintaining the positive atmosphere of HOPE! There are so many ways throughout the year to help support St. Jude's. There is the St. Jude Give Thanks. Walk.
|Our Team DOMinator at the St. Jude's Give Thanks Walk 2011|
The walk kicks off the St. Jude's Thanks and Giving fundraising campaign during the holiday season, so shoppers can make a donation at local stores while purchasing gifts. Every September Chili's Grill & Bar Restaurants picks a day of "More Hope" and donates 100% of their net profits to St. Jude's.
Each summer people from all over the country participate in the Warrior Dash for St. Jude's. And many people make personal contributions for someone they know.
Showing your support for cancer research is so much bigger than I can ever articulate in writing. It's not about one more organization begging for money. It's not about seeing who can raise the most. It's about each and every dollar giving HOPE! It's about giving a child one more day filled with love and laughter. It's about giving your friend, co-worker, or family member a fighting chance. It's about showing support for LIFE!
What is your favorite cause? How do you support your favorite cause?